If you are a member of the public, or are representing them as a group or organisation, and wish to report a breach of the Advertising Code, just follow these steps to make a complaint.
- You will need to submit a signed letter that includes your full name and address, and indicate the basis of your complaint. Providing examples or copies of the offending article is appreciated, with advertisements translated into English if it was originally in a vernacular langugage. Please note that the ASA does not accept anonymous complaints.
- Copies of the complaint will be included in the agenda for the next meeting of the Committee. Sometimes, the Chairman, Deputy Chairman or Secretaries may hold a special meeting to deal with the complaint in order to speed up the process.
- All submissions to the ASA shoold be directed to the Chiarman of the Advertising Standards Advisory.
- The ASA will not entertain any correspondence addressed to individual members
- The ASA meets at least six times a year or whenever required by the Chairman or Deputy Chairman to do so in order to address complaints.
- Whenever required, the ASA may call on the parties involved in the dispute, or any outside independent party, for further information.
- Apart from the Chairman of the meeting, all members of the Committee will have one vote, and all decisions will be by a simple majority (more than 50% of total votes). If the vote is equally divided, the Chairman of the meeting will be allowed to cast a vote. Before voting, any member of the Committee with a vested interest must refrain from voting and be absent during the decision-making process.
Announcement of Decisions
- The ASA will notify all parties involved on its decision, advising them of any action that is required to be taken.
Constituent Members of the Advertising Standards Advisory
- Malaysian Advertisers Association
- Association of Accredited Advertising Agents, Malaysian
- Malaysian Newspaper Publishers Association
- Media Specialists Association
- The Outdoor Advertising Association of Malaysia
- Any other media organization as may be admitted